Monday, October 3, 2011

Review of Write Shop

Today's post is about the Write Shop writing curriculum.  I first heard about this program from Colleen Crowley and she sounded so excited about it that I asked her to share her experience here on Cleveland Homeschooler.  Colleen has been a homeschooling mom for eight years and is the founder of the TripleCHomeschoolers group, which you can find out more about on the groups page

 


 

Writing paragraphs or papers was agony for me in school and I was concerned about how I was going to help my children become good writers when I had no idea what I was doing. We use Abeka for most subjects and love it, but I didn't feel their way of teaching how to write papers and such were very user friendly at all.  In fact I couldn't find any program that seemed parent friendly until "Write Shop." This program breaks it down, step by step, has checklists for both the child and the parent, so both know what is expected. There is an abundance of word lists in the back, directions in great detail per step, pages of advice and explanations, just so much help. There is so much help and information it was a bit overwhelming at first to figure it all out!

It has 3 tracts to pick from, you can complete it in a year, two years, or 3 years, it's up to you.   And normally the child only spends about 15 minutes a day on the lesson, so they don't feel overwhelmed.

For the first time since I started homeschooling 8 years ago, I feel with this program that I'll be able to help my children learn to write efficiently, clearly, creatively and effectively. I think it's the most parent and child friendly writing program out there.

I wish I had been taught this way! I can't rave enough about this program and I can see how far it will be taking us once we've completed the program. My son's papers have been written beautifully. I was amazed at the talent my son seems to have found due to this program.  We're doing the 3 year tract and we've completed the first year.  We started in 8th grade, and by the time he finishes the program, he'll be writing college level papers.  My younger son has seen how much the older one has enjoyed the program and is looking forward to starting with the program when he reaches 8th grade.

They do offer an elementary program, but I haven't used it so can't comment, except that I'm sure it's wonderful as well.

Colleen was even kind enough to share a sample of her son's writing - the assignment was to describe a season:

Time to Fall


    As I swing open my front door, fall overcomes me and my senses.  Sweet and fragrant, the aroma of autumn hung in the air.  Red, brown, orange, yellow, and gray leaves all gently fell to the ground, slightly crunching as people stepped upon them.  Children jumped into the leaf piles that the adults had raked, frustrating the adults.  Birds chirped as they rested on the barren branches to prepare for the flight south as winter was well on its way.  The evergreens forced themselves to be seen through the rainbow colored trees, just as much as a tired and weary child does to those around him.  The sweet cool air brushed up against my face revealing the sight of my warm breath as I exhaled, reminding me of the season coming ahead; the joy of it all!

 
Thank you Colleen! For more information click here to go to the Write Shop website. Has anyone else used this program? Is there another program that's worked well for you?



~ Dori

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...