Thursday, March 15, 2012

Teaching Textbooks - The Math Program That Saved My Sanity

Obviously my sanity is still in question on a daily basis - I am a homeschooling mom, after all. And sometimes nothing drives me more crazy than the neverending curriculum choices. So when I finally found a math program that didn't make everyone want to tear their hair out, I rejoiced (cue the "Hallelujah Chorus"). I know many of you also struggle with the various choices for math curriculum available, which is why I thought I'd share our experience with Teaching Textbooks.



My oldest was maybe a quarter of the way into his third grade math book (Seton Math 3) when he hit a brick wall. It wasn't really that sudden, actually - he had been growing increasingly frustrated with doing his math work for a couple months or so. And it wasn't long before "I hate math" turned into "I hate school" and every day involved much wailing and gnashing of teeth (he can be a bit dramatic at times). Of course I knew that deep down he didn't really HATE math and he didn't really HATE school - it was just that the math program we were using wasn't working for us and we needed to find a better fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...